Riders must follow the rules for mopeds:
- If under age 18, a protective helmet is required; the chin strap must be properly fastened.
- Mopeds must be equipped with at least one rear view mirror.
- Whenever practical, mopeds must be operated within three feet of the right edge of the roadway.
- Operators of mopeds may not carry passengers.
Riders also must obey traffic laws that apply to bicycles and motor vehicles, including:
- Obeying traffic signs and signals
- Traveling in the same direction as other traffic
- Signaling turns
- Yielding the right of way
Moped/motorized bicycle owners are required to obtain and display a rear license plate.
Moped/Motorized Bicycle License
Applicants age 14-15, or anyone without a valid driver license, must pass vision, knowledge and road tests to obtain a moped license.
- Probationary licenses are required for 14- and 15-year-old operators.
- If a probationary moped license holder violates state laws regulating moped operation or state or local traffic laws, the probationary license can be revoked until age 16.
Probationary License Restrictions
- May ride during daylight hours only
- No passengers
- No riding on interstates or congested roads
- Must wear a helmet and protective eyewear
Where Do I Go?
Ohio Revised Code: 4511.521
Ohio Administrative Code: 4501.23