ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Welcome to the ODPS | Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Skip Navigation

Please Note: You are viewing the non-styled version of this Web page. Either your browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or it is disabled. We suggest upgrading your browser to the latest version of your favorite Internet browser.


ODPS Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Vehicle Titling - Frequently Asked Questions


Show all answers  |  Hide all answers

Note: To print all questions and answers in their entirety, please click "Show all answers" before printing.

I have just moved to Ohio from another state and need to know how to convert my state title to an Ohio title.

First, you will need to obtain an out-of-state inspection on the vehicle. This inspection is a VIN verification and may be obtained from any Deputy Registrar's Office. If you have physical possession of your title, take the title and the Out of State Inspection to your local county Title Office, and they will issue a Certificate of Title in your name. If your title is being held by a lien holder, your local county Title Office will provide you with instructions requesting the lien holder to surrender the title to their office. An Out of State Inspection is required. If the vehicle is leased, the same procedures apply. If your title is currently in two names, both signatures will be required unless otherwise stated by the jurisdiction in which the title was last issued. In either case, an out-of-state inspection is required.

How do I transfer ownership of my vehicle to another person?

On the back of your current title, complete the new buyers name and address, plus the purchase price. Complete the odometer certification area stating the mileage as it appears on the odometer. Under the mileage area is the seller's notary section, which must be completed and notarized. Next, the buyer must acknowledge the mileage as stated by the seller by filling in his signature and printing his name. Please note that you are attesting to the actual mileage of the vehicle. The seller should make a copy of the front and back of the assigned title and remove the plates from the vehicle.

The person I sold my vehicle to is stating they have lost the assigned, notarized title that I gave them. What do I do?

You should go to the county Title Office, report the original title was lost or stolen, and apply for a duplicate title. Do the assignment and notarization again and deliver to the purchaser. Always keep a copy of the assigned title for your records.

How do I transfer an assigned title into my name?

After receiving an assigned title, a new buyer can proceed to any Deputy Registrar's office with the assigned title and purchase a 30-day tag. Within 30 days (in order to avoid a $5.00 late charge), proceed to a Clerk of Courts Title Office and apply for a title in your name. You will also have to pay sales & use tax on the purchase price of the vehicle. The rate varies from county to county, so phone ahead for your rate. If you have a lien holder, it must be noted on the assignment portion of the title.

I have an assigned title for the vehicle I am driving, but it was assigned a year ago. What do I do?

Proceed to any county Title Office and apply for a title. You will be charged a $5.00 late fee, in addition to other applicable fees.

How do I record a lien on a motor vehicle?

The Clerk of Courts Title Office will require an application for title to record a lien. Once the application is filled out with the lien information added, and surrender of the owner's title, a new title will be issued to the lienholder. The title owner will receive a memorandum title for registration and plating purposes. The BMV 3774 application for title is available online in the forms area.

I purchased a vehicle in-state or out-of-state and the seller did not provide me with a title. I have a bill of sale. What do I do?

Contact the Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671.

My lien was satisfied, but I have not received a clear title. What do I need to do to get my title?

You will need to contact your lien holder for your title if it is a physical title they will need to sign off on the front of the title and mail it to you. However, if it is an electronic title, you will need a lien release statement, and take this to your county Title Office for a replacement title.

I want to put my title into two names. How is this done?

Assign and notarize the title into the names of the individuals who purchased the vehicle, on the top back of the title. The new owners will need to sign and apply for the new title at the County Title Office, and new plates and registration will be required. If one cannot be present, a power of attorney form can be completed.

We want to change our title from two names to one name. How is this done?

Both owners will need to assign the title over to one owner and have their signatures notarized on the top back of the title (if one of the two previous owners cannot be present, a power of attorney form can be completed). The new owner will need to sign and apply for a title at the County Title Office. The new (single) owner will be required to purchase a new registration and plates.

I purchased my vehicle from an in-state or out-of-state resident and do not have a title. I submitted my evidence to the BMV and still could not get a title. What else can I do?

Contact Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, at 614-752-7671 for a denial letter. You may need to seek legal advice for a possible court order title through the Court of Common Pleas (directing the clerk to issue a certificate of title per Ohio Revised Code, Section 4505.10).

My title does not reflect the correct Vehicle Identification Number. How do I correct it?

Contact the nearest Highway Patrol Inspection Station and ask to come in and have a trooper do a vehicle verification check on the car. Mail a copy of the HP106 form, a copy of the front and back of the title, and a brief notarized statement (include your phone number) as to the issue to the Ohio BMV, Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-6520. Title services will research the issue and provide you with a correction letter so that you can proceed to your county clerk's Title Office for a replacement title.

My vehicle has had the vehicle identification plate removed/stolen. How do I get a new one?

Contact the Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671 and ask for a VIN replacement packet to be mailed to you. The enclosed letter will explain how to submit the proper documents to the BMV for a VIN replacement, which can result in either the Patrol making a VIN replacement plate or applying directly through the manufacturer. A manufacturer's plate takes 6-8 weeks. After completion, you may have the title replaced at any county Title Office.

How do I get a duplicate certificate of title?

Application is made in person at any county Title Office. There is a $15.00 fee. Please take your picture ID, registration or any other documents that verify the vehicle identification number.

I need to get a title history done on a vehicle. How is this done?

Visit your nearest county Title Office, or download the BMV 1173 Title Request form from our Web site. You may also call to request for a form at 614-752-7671, or write in to the Ohio BMV, Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-6520. You will need to supply the Vehicle Identification Number, the year and make of the vehicle. There is a $5.00 charge for each individual listed in the title history. This history will reveal all previous owner information if you meet the requirements according to the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). Otherwise, you will only receive vehicle information.

I just got married. Do I have to change my name on my title?

No, at the time the title was issued, your maiden name was correct, so the Title Office will not change your title. Upon the sale of the vehicle that is in your maiden name, assign the title with your married name and also your maiden name.

My spouse has died and the vehicle is still in her/his name. What do I do?

Proceed to the Title Office in any county and apply for surviving spouse certificate of title. Some counties require a certified copy of the death certificate, so phone ahead for requirements. You may apply for up to two vehicles on a surviving spouse benefit, however, the estimated value of both vehicles cannot exceed $40,000. Surviving spouse can only transfer passenger vehicles, a 3/4 ton truck or smaller, or a motorcycle into their name. Commercial vehicles, motor homes and recreational vehicles are not covered under the surviving spouse law.

How do I obtain and apply for a "Transfer on Death" title?

Only a sole owner of a vehicle can apply for a transfer on death beneficiary title under current Ohio law. No companies or two-owner titles qualify for this type of title. To apply, you would take your Ohio title to your county Title Office and apply for a Transfer On Death "TOD" title. You will be asked to complete an affidavit naming the beneficiary with their full legal name, address and Social Security Number. That affidavit will require your notarized signature and a fee of $1.00. A new title will be issued with the "TOD" designation and a fee of $16.00. Upon your death, the beneficiary will present a certified Death Certificate to the county Title Office, and a title will be issued to your named beneficiary.

How is a "With Rights of Survivorship" title transferred?

To transfer or encumber a vehicle that has "With Rights of Survivorship (WROS)" on the title, both signatures are required if both parties are living. If one of the parties is deceased, the survivor applies for a certificate of title with only a copy of the death certificate. Only the application portion of the title needs to be completed, signed and notarized.

Where do I store my title?

Never leave the title in the motor vehicle. Choose a safe place where you store other important documents, or you have the option of telling the Clerk of Court Title Office that you would like a non-printed title. It will still cost $15.00, but your title record will be retained on the database.

Why should I get a non-printed title?

It will prevent your physical title from being lost or stolen.

My insurance company has salvaged my vehicle, but I am keeping it and repairing it for my use. What steps do I need to follow?

First apply for a salvage title in your name changing the status of your title from regular to salvage. (NOTE: The vehicle cannot be operated on the road while evidenced on a salvage title.) Upon completion of the repairs, contact the closest Highway Patrol Inspection Station and make an appointment to have a salvage inspection done (There is a $50 fee.). Take any receipts for repairs and new parts with you to the inspection. After the vehicle has successfully completed the inspection, take Form HP106 and your salvage title and proceed to any Title Office and apply for a "rebuilt salvage" title. After all of these steps have been completed, the vehicle is now operable for use on any road.

I am 17 years old and want to purchase a vehicle in Ohio. How is that handled?

A dealer or a Clerk of Court can witness a minor consent form. The forms are available at the county Title Office.

I am moving to Europe and taking my vehicle with me. How is this handled?

Contact the Ohio BMV Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section at 614-752-7671 and ask to speak to the import-export assistant. They will advise you of the steps necessary to remove your vehicle from Ohio.

I just purchased an ATV from Missouri and the manufacturer gave me an MCO. Will I need to get my ATV inspection since it is from out of state?

Please see form BMV 3709 - Titling, Registering & Operating Snowmobiles, Off-Highway Motorcycles & All Purpose Vehicles In Ohio.

What are the procedures for titling and registering trailers in Ohio?

All travel trailers are titled in Ohio at any county Title Office with proof of ownership, application, fees and taxes. If the trailer is on a non-Ohio title, you must first obtain an Ohio out-of-state VIN verification at any Deputy Registrar's office. If the trailer is not a travel trailer and weighs 4,000 pounds or less, you must obtain a weight slip on the trailer and take that and proof of ownership to your Deputy Registrar's office and apply for plates and registration. If the trailer weighs 4,001 pounds or more, you would take proof of ownership and apply for Ohio title at any county Title Office.

I have an off-road motorcycle titled in Ohio. I have now brought it up to code for on road use and need to change the title. How do I do that?

You would take the off-road title in your name and proof of the upgrade to your county Title Office and request to complete a "body code change" affidavit.  If all is in order, the title will be replaced and reflect the body code as "MC" motorcycle.  You would pay a fee of $15.00 plus notary fees and take the new title to the Deputy Registrar and apply for your motorcycle plates.  You must have the motorcycle endorsement on your Ohio driver license to operate the motorcycle.

What are the requirements for out-of-state leasing dealers when applying for Ohio titles?

When applying for a title, out-of-state leasing dealers are required to be registered with the Ohio Department of Taxation, but they are not required to have a leasing dealer's permit LD#) from the BMV. In order to title vehicles in the leasing dealer's name, Ohio requires a valid Ohio use tax account number (99-XXXXXX) before it will proceed with issuing a title without collecting use tax.  Please contact the Ohio Department of Taxation at 1-800-405-4089 to apply for the Ohio Use Tax account number.  When the leasing dealer sells a vehicle, they are required to: 1) process the paperwork; 2) collect sales tax up front; 3) remit net tax to the Clerks office and; 4) provide the customer with a title. When the paperwork is complete, the lessee will receive a memorandum title via mail. They need to take this memorandum title, and a dealer signed power of attorney form to their local Deputy Registrar's office to register the vehicle. When the paperwork is complete, the lessee should get a memorandum title from the lesser.

I'm an electronic dealer. What do I need to do with the evidence that I scan to process an electronic title application?

Ohio Revised Code requires Ohio license dealers to retain the supporting evidence that was submitted electronically for 5 years.

An ETA dealer made a mistake on my title. How can I get this corrected?

Return to the dealer that issued your electronic title for correction.

My title is an electronic title. How may I sell my vehicle to a dealer?

The dealer can complete a BMV 3772 form to allow the transfer to or from a motor vehicle dealer.  It has a provision for stating mileage and power of attorney.

The mileage is wrong on my title. How do I correct it?

If the incorrect mileage or brand (exceeded, salvage, non-actual, buyback) was due to a county error, please contact the county where the title was issued; they will be able to assist you. For a list of the county offices, please click here. If the incorrect mileage or brand (exceeded, salvage, non-actual, buyback) was due was a customer or dealer error, click here for additional information you will need to submit for further review.